Enter the vendor raffle at the bottom of the page!
DEEP ROOTS: Alaska Native Voices in Publishing is a poster in the 2020 PNLA Virtual Poster Session. We encourage you to engage in discussion by leaving a comment on the page. The author of the poster will respond to comments the week of August 4-7, 2020.
Presenters: Best Beginnings, Sealaska Heritage Institute, Alaska Northwest Books
Track: Public & School Libraries
Abstract: Discover authors and publishing programs creating Alaska children’s books that are culturally relevant, accurate, well-produced, and age-appropriate for their target audiences.
- Seasons of Alaska trailer [from slide #12]
- Baby Raven Reads video [from slide #39]
- How Raven Got His Crooked Nose trailer [from slide #44]
- Chia and the Fox Man trailer [from slide #45]
About the Presenters:
- Abbe Hensley is the executive director of Best Beginnings, a statewide early childhood nonprofit focused on growing readers, building strong families, and engaging community.
- Stephanie Schott is the Early Literacy Director of Best Beginnings.
- Angela Y. Gonzalez, (Koyukon Athabascan) is wife and a mother of two, works PR/Communications, loves taking photos and writing, and is author of several books.
- Barbara J. Atwater (Dena’ina) is a retired teacher, administrator and author.
- Ethan J. Atwater, Barbara’s son, is an author and interested in storytelling and educating children on Dena’ina folklore.
- Tess Olympia is the Program Manager for Sealaska Heritage’s Baby Raven Reads program and part of the Book Production Team.
- Angela Zbornik is marketing manager for Alaska Northwest Books.